Thinking of gastric sleeve? How do I decide if it is the right choice?

Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: Gastric sleeve

We can not answer it for you without knowing your bmi, your other co existing conditions like high bp, diabetes and others and your family history you should get educated about the procedure, talk to the surgeon and ask all the questions about what kind of results you will achieve and what the side effects are and do your own research about the procedure and the surgeon.

In brief: Gastric sleeve

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Gregg Nishi
Bariatrics

In brief: Sleeve

That requires a long answer. If you have diabetes, have significant heartburn or reflux, are primarily a sweet eater, have a BMI well into the 50's, you should thing of a gastric bypass.
If you have a family history of stomach cancer or have a vitamin or iron deficiency, I would lean towards a sleeve. I spend over an hour discussing this with patients so there is more to it though.

In brief: Sleeve

Dr. Gregg Nishi
Dr. Gregg Nishi
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery