Is gallbladder removal the only treatment for gall stones?

No, but.... ..It's the most effective. Gallstones can be dissolved by ultrasound waves (lithotripsy) or medication, however, new ones will form. The only effective way to permanently get rid of stones is to remove the "gallstone factory", the gallbladder. Thankfully, this can be done by minimally invasive outpatient surgery. Most importantly, though, this is only recommended if one has symptoms.
Mostly, but. . . For early tiny stones (called sludge) a dissolving medicine called urso forte (ursodeoxycholate) can dissolve over 3-6 months. This is ok if no symptoms. With symptoms of pain it is best to proceed to surgery. Shockwave therapy has been abandoned.