How can I tell if my baby is getting enough milk?

Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: Count diapers

If your baby is getting enough milk s/he will have at least 6 wet diapers in a 24 hour period.
The urine should be clear and not foul smelling. After a feeding your baby should look satisfied.

In brief: Count diapers

Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: Content & gaining wt

If your baby is getting enough milk, he/she will be content between feedings, will urinate at least 6-7 times in 24 hours and will pass at least 1 stool per day.
He/she will also lose no more than 10% of birth weight in the first week and will gain it back by 2 weeks of age. Once weight gain is established, the baby will gain about an ounce a day during the first several weeks.

In brief: Content & gaining wt

Dr. Sharon Gilliland
Dr. Sharon Gilliland