My grandmother is 70 and her doctor told her she has osteoarthritis. Does glucosamine and chondroitin really work?

Dr. Dean Giannone

The combination of glucosamine and chondroitin has been shown in studies to (1) provide a degree of pain relief in the short term, and (2) trigger growth of new cartilage when taken for at least two years straight.
So it can help you pain and reverse some of the chronic damage. You can find this in the health food store. MSM is not necessary and adds to the cost of the product.

In brief: Not really known

When the diagnosis of degenerative disease like osteoarthritis is diagnosed , the disease is already established .
There is conflicting data out there that glucosamine and chondroitin might help to slow the progression . The medicines are pretty harmless . I personally would recommend to try it for couple of months and see of there is any difference

In brief: Not really known

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham