Do I know if I need carpal tunnel surgery?

Dr. David Tuckman
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: Symptoms
In general he wanted to get to carpal tunnel syndrome before you have any permanent nerve damage.
If the numbness and tingling is getting worse or if the numbness and tingling is constant this is a bad sign. If the symptoms are only intermittent you can try splinting or injections of cortisone with a reasonably good success rate.

In brief: Symptoms
Dr. David Tuckman
Dr. David Tuckman
Dr. Christopher Khorsandi
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Talk to your surgeon
Generally if conservative measure such as medications or splints fail then surgery is indicated.

In brief: Talk to your surgeon
Dr. Christopher Khorsandi
Dr. Christopher Khorsandi
Dr. Robert Gluck
Surgery - Hand Surgery
While nerve testing may be useful, the most sensitive indicator of progression of symptoms and need for surgery is usually the patient him or herself.
The parameters are increasing numbness and/or tingling in the hand, increasing pain and/or discomfort, and weakness. Best of luck.

Dr. Robert Gluck
Dr. Robert Gluck