How to reduce swelling after bunion surgery?

Dr. John Michalski
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Bunion swelling

Reduce swelling with ice, elevation, rest, and non weight bearing.

In brief: Bunion swelling

In brief: Ice and elevation

Assuming you have returned to a street shoe, it make take a while before the swelling goes away.
Movement of the toe joints is helpful, in reducing the swelling, but can cause the she to become tight. A shoe with a wide toe box that is flexible can help, with this. I often recommend a sneaker slightly larger than usual, or a " croc" type shoe until the swelling reduces.

In brief: Ice and elevation

In brief: PRICE

Protect Rest Ice Compressive dressing Elevation

In brief: PRICE

In brief: Swelling

That depends on a lot of factors including what the procedure was , when , how early you walked on it , how compliant you were (did you follow directions), etc.
See your surgeon for this and any concerns and questions.

In brief: Swelling

Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery