How does my dr know for sure I don't have colon cancer?

Has he/she looked? While the great majority of colorectal cancers take years to arise from polyps, there are a few situations in which cancers develop faster, and may not go the polyp route. These include inflammatory bowel disease and some family genetic dosorders, like lynch syndrome. Talking with your doctor will help determine your risk level for colorectal cancer.
Colonoscopy. In experienced hands, a normal colonoscopy rules out colon cancer in almost all patients.
Can't for certain. All diagnostic tests have what is called a false negative rate, meaning that a test designed to look for something didn't find the something even though it is there. If you have had colonoscopy or a barium enema that showed nothing, that is the best you can do for now.