My sister is HIV postive and my dog gets into the trash and eats her used tampons it it possible for my dog to contract HIV and or give it to me ?

Dr. Daniel Lee

In brief: No

Dogs cannot contract HIV infection - only humans.
This is why it is called human immunodeficiency virus. Thus, your dog can't contract it and then give to you. No worries!

In brief: No

Dr. Daniel Lee
Dr. Daniel Lee
Dr. Lonna Larsh

In brief: Very unlikely

Dogs cannot get hiv, so your dog cannot get it from eating your sister's tampons.
The only way i can imagine anyone being at risk is if your dog was chewing on a tampon then immediately bit someone, breaking the skin. That is a pretty unlikely scenario. Nevertheless, i'm not a vet but i don't think it is good for your dog to eat tampons. Get a covered wastebasket.

In brief: Very unlikely

Dr. Lonna Larsh
Dr. Lonna Larsh
Dr. Adam Smith