Can having sleep apnea cause shortness of breath when falling asleep?

Depends. If you have obstructive sleep apnea. Non obstructive sleep apnea will be less likely associated with sob when awake.
Airway is everything. Sleep apnea can cause many issues. You should consult a sleep medicine physician, ENT and or a dentist that specializes in sleep to get you going in the right direction.
Yes. You may be having apneic episodes shortly after or while transitioning in to sleep. Some people sense this as gasping/choking/shortness of breath. Discuss with your doctor, as a sleep study may be indicated.
Sleep Apnea. Sleep apnea can cause shortness of breath due to apnea, heart and lung conditions causes shortness of breath.