My granddaughter has had four severe nosebleeds in two days. She is 10 and has had them about once a year the last few years. What could this be?

Dr. Russell Faust
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Most likely: fingers
Agreed with dr. Ho.
Also: nose bleeds (epistaxis) is most common this time of year - toward the end of the cold-and-flu season, and end of winter when we have lived with forced-air heat for awhile. Inflammation ('colds', allergies, tobacco smoke, etc) of the nasal lining will increase the risk of bleeds. Plz take a look at my med-ed site (boogordoctor.Com) for several articles on this topic.

In brief: Most likely: fingers
Agreed with dr. Ho.
Dr. Russell Faust
Dr. Russell Faust
Angela Zhang
In brief: Many causes
A few small nosebleeds each year is ok.
. The most common cause of nosebleeds in children is due to nose picking/ trauma. Other common causes include mucosal dryness, foreign body, and allergic or infectious rhinitis. Bleeding disorders should be considered if recurrent, prolonged nosebleed. You can try a humidifier, nasal saline spray or vasoline. If bleeding continues, bring her to pediatrician.

In brief: Many causes
A few small nosebleeds each year is ok.
Angela Zhang
Angela Zhang
Answer assisted by Angela Zhang, Medical Student
Dr. Jonathan Jassey