My husband has kidney stones and lower back pain. He is otherwise healthy. At what point should they be shattered?

Ask urologist. Kidney stones cause signficant pain, sometime debilitating until eliminated. Mostly you have to suffer until they pass out. But sometimes they can become stuck at the top of the ureter or in the ureter shaft. If that persists you may suffer some kidney damage. Your husband needs to see a urologist who can assess this and protect your husband from permanent damage.
Clarification. Need urine analysis to determine whether kidney stone actively contributing to his pain.