What is temporal arteritis?

Inflammation. Temporal arteritis (ta) is a non-infectious inflammation of the temporal arteries, ususally seen in individuals over 50 yrs. Headache or head pains are the most common complaint, associated with tender temporal arteries. Other symptoms include jaw claudication, anorexia, fever, anemia and elevated wbc. An elevated sedimentation rate (esr) is typically above 80mm/hr, but ta can occur with normal esr.
Risk of blindness. It is form of auto-immune disease causing inflammation of blood vessels, not just teporal artery. Patients are at high risk of blindness due to involvement of blood vessels in the eye. The disease can be controlled with stroids (prednisolone). It is also called giant cell arteritis, usually occurs in older people, may be associated with fever and constitutional symptoms.