I've noticed that in the back of my four yr old sons throat, the dangling thing..Uvula?..He has two of them..I thought you are supposed to have one

Dr. Scott Rickert
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: ?submucous palate

A bifid uvula (double uvula) may be a sign of a small amount of misalignment of muscle in the palate.
Although it may be superficially normal (and could be completely normal), there is a possibility that there could be a small area of missing muscle called a submucous cleft palate which may affect speech. This should be evaluated by a specialist to be sure.

In brief: ?submucous palate

Dr. Scott Rickert
Dr. Scott Rickert
Pathology

In brief: Natural variation

A bifid uvula is a normal variation and it can look like having two.
No need to be concerned.

In brief: Natural variation

No need to be concerned.
Dr. Cindy Juster