Can a brain aneurysm or narrowing of the arteries show up on a MRI with contrast or with out?

Many times. These studies have limited resolution and can miss abnormalities. Mra is better than MRI as it shows the blood vessels better and is useful for screening. Even mra is limited resolution and can miss lesions smaller than 2-3mm. For high suspicion a catheter angiogram is the best study.
Large aneurysms. I have been taught that aneurysms greater than about 5 mm (about 1/4 inch) are visible on brain MRI with or without contrast. The contrast helps to make one more sure it is an aneurysm, not some other structure. The better image of the blood vessels is a mra, (magnetic resonance angiogram) with or without contrast. It is the same experience as a MRI but the computer outlines blood vessels.