I had my braces off today and my gums are really sore; i was brushing my teeth and it was sore to do so is this normal?

Dr. BEHRAM DALAL
Dentistry

Gums can be tender depending on the condition of the soft tissues while the braces were on.
Do some warm salt water rinses and take some tylenol (acetaminophen) if needed. Will get better over the next couple of days. Keep brushing and flossing. Hope this helps.

Dr. BEHRAM DALAL
Dr. BEHRAM DALAL

In brief: WNL

Your discomfort is within normal limits.
Your teeth were moved around quite a bit during your orthodontic care, and the gums are probably still a bit sore. Keep your teeth clean, brush gently, and see your dentist if the problem continues more than a few days. Feel better soon...

In brief: WNL

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Ask your dentist

Till you get expert advice.
... Use a very very soft toothbrush & rub gently. Swish soothing warm salty water or very dilute peroxide water. Don't eat spicy or crunchy things. Suck on mentholated cough drops and suck in air - it is cooling. Give it a day or two, but call the dentist for reassurance. Good luck!

In brief: Ask your dentist

Till you get expert advice.
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Dr. Adam Smith