My father-in-law had a recent ultrasound of prostate and psa test. His ultrasound showed enlarged prostate 104grams and psa 6.7. Is biopsy needed?

In brief: No

Short ans is no.Your fa-in-law's PSA density is 0.
064(6.7 divided by 104)..We do biopsies if 0.15 or more assuming there are no suspicious nodules seen on u.sund or felt by digital exam. I am assuming that the 104 "grams" you refer to is "ccs" which is the volume on the sonogram.A 104 size prostate usually gives symptoms but I am sure this is addressed by his urologist.Hope this answ yr question

In brief: No

Dr. Ronald Holzman
Radiology

In brief: If first PSA-yes.

If there have been prior psas, biopsy determination will be made depending upon extent of increase.
If first psa, biopsy is indicated. Biopsy is usually performed when psa is 4 or greater, or when serial increase is considered significant.

In brief: If first PSA-yes.

Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice

In brief: Prostate Cancer

I do not understand the question.
Biopsy is always performed during ultrasound. It is not normal to have not had a biopsy done if necessary while they were doing the ultrasound. What does your urologist say about this?

In brief: Prostate Cancer

I do not understand the question.
Dr. Andrea Brand