What are the effects of having an ear infection on later hearing?

None unless... Infrequent ear infection seldom affects later hearing as long as proper treatment is rendered even in cases with ear drum perforation. However, children who experience frequent infections with persistent middle ear effusion between the bouts of acute infections do develop hearing defect.
May impair hearing. Ear infections, particularly in children, if not promptly and appropriately managed can result in some degree of permanently diminished audial acuity.