How do I know if I have chronic liver disease and cirrhosis?

Dr. Stuart Wasser
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Are you sick?

Cirrhosis (liver scarring) and chronic liver disease may exist, even if the underlying disease (like alcohol use) is over. In this case, the presence of old disease is less important than the risk of progressive disease.
Liver tests, viral counts, bipsies etc all help evaluate this risk. Test of current liver function (like Albumin and bleeding) are important to gauge current function.

In brief: Are you sick?

Dr. Stuart Wasser
Dr. Stuart Wasser
Dr. Willam Lau
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Tests

Blood tests like hepatic profile are helpful, but imaging tests and biopsy may be necessary to determine the stage of cirrhosis.

In brief: Tests

Dr. Willam Lau
Dr. Willam Lau
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine