I have an abscessed tooth. Painkillers and antibiotics are not working and i don't have money to go to a dentist till friday. What can I do at home to get some relief from the pain?

Dr. Randolph Todd
Dentistry - Endodontics

In brief: See your DDS

I don't believe that if you have pain a swelling that you can treat yourself.
If you are having financial problems go to a hospital or dental school to see if they have a program to assist you. Please don't allow the infection to get worse as this can impact your general health. See a doctor as soon as possible.

In brief: See your DDS

Dr. Randolph Todd
Dr. Randolph Todd
2 comments
Dr. Ihab Ibrahim
You asked for advice. This is us giving you advice. You have to go. I wish there were another way. There isn't and the alternative of waiting will risk life and will cost even more money.
Dr. Jason Alliger
Don't rely on home remedies or stuff on the internet. Get treated. I'm sure if you have a regular dentist he/she could work out a payment plan, for example, give a little $ down and pay the rest when you have it.
Dr. Danni Sayman
Dentistry - Endodontics

In brief: Wow

Sorry to hear that.
There is nothing else that pain med for pain. Probably a stronger pain medication. Call ur dentist.

In brief: Wow

Sorry to hear that.
Dr. Danni Sayman
Dr. Danni Sayman
Dr. Pamela Asseff
Dentistry

In brief: Tylenol (acetaminophen) and Advil

Often I have patients alternate with using tylenol(acetaminophen) and advil(ibuprofen) for a toothache.
Do not place the medication on the gum as it causes a burn. Take the medication alternating until you can see your dentist. Do not exceed the recommended dose of tylenol or Ibuprofen due to potentially dangerous kidney problems.

Dr. Pamela Asseff
Dr. Pamela Asseff
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Abscessed tooth

Try a university hospital er. They may be able to see you more rapidly.
Or call and ask dentists if they will extend you credit and let you be seen sooner. Good luck.

In brief: Abscessed tooth

Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Vikram Patel