What will a dr do for abscessed tooth?

Abscess. It is very important you go see your dentist. You may need a root canal or even an extraction. You need to see your dentist as soon as possible an untreated infection can cause serious health issues including death.
Treat the infection. An abscess is an acute infection and may have systemic implications depending on your medical status. If the abscess is originating from a tooth and the support structures are intact root canal therapy may eliminate the abscess. If the infection is from the supporting structures, depending on the severity, periodontal therapy or extraction may be necessary. Contact your dds for a diagnosis.
Diagnose & treat. Abscessed teeth first need to be examined, x-rayed, and a proper diagnosis. After the diagnosis, then a treatment plan of either a root canal or extraction may be presented. Make sure you go over these options with your dentist. A prescription antibiotic may be prescribed as well.
Several things . Either pull the tooth, or fix it. Fixing it requires a root canal filling and then a crown. Antibiotics wil calm the acute stage of the infection. Sometimes a severe access needs to drain before further work can be done. Spend a little money now, so the abcess won't turn into a $5000 hospital visit.
Refer to OMFS. Doctor (and in many cases if the abscess is bad, dentists) will be able to prescribe some pain medication but the referral to a dental surgeon or an oromaxillofacial surgeon (omfs) in a timely fashion, is optimal.