What causes melasma?

The. The exact cause of melasma is still unknown, however researchers theorize that melasma occurs as a result of the color-making skin cells (melanocytes) producing too much color or melanin resulting in patchy discoloration. There are also genetic and other predispositions that are the cause. Common triggers of melasma include extended sun exposure, estrogen supplements, birth control pills, and pregnancy.
Overactive pigment. Certain people will develop extra pigment on the face when exposed to sun or after pregnancy. The melanocytes produce and disperse extra pigment in the skin.