What causes tmj, and how do people deal with it?

Dr. James Bates
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Many things!
Tmj problems can be caused by many things, but it's usually some form of trauma.
It can be a bad bite, nighttime clenching or grinding of the teeth, a blow to the jaw or a car accident. People deal with it in a variety of ways, beginning with a soft diet, moist heat and nsaid's. Eventually, splint therapy, orthodontic treatment or even surgery may be indicated to treat TMJ problems.

In brief: Many things!
Dr. James Bates
Dr. James Bates
Dr. Gary Chapman
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: Tripartate
After treating TMJ for over 25 years, I have found the preponderance of cases have these three components: female, bite issue, stress.
We have found that by treating the bite issue, the patient will improve, pain will be reduced both in severity and frequency. I use a custom bite splint with frequent occlusal adjustments to keep up with the dimensional changes as the muscles and joints heal.

In brief: Tripartate
Dr. Gary Chapman
Dr. Gary Chapman
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: A few things
Causes of TMJ syndrome are not completely understood.
. Causes may include, misalignment (malocclusion) of or trauma to the teeth or jaw, teeth grinding (bruxism),, poor posture, stress or anxiety, arthritis or other inflammatory musculoskeletal disorders, excessive gum chewing. Treatment can be complex and beyond the scope of this answer. See a TMJ expert for guidance.

In brief: A few things
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
In brief: Symptoms can fool ya
When i explain tmj/tmd to my patients, i tell them that everyone has TMJ (unless some type of mutation, cancer or accident.
) TMJ is the anatomy of the jaw joints- (t) temporal bone on upper maxilla; (m) mandible- lower jaw; (j) joints- where the two meet in a complex of tendons, ligaments, etc. Tmd are the symptoms exhibited by someone who has a problem with the TMJ complex. See specialist.

In brief: Symptoms can fool ya
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman