what do I need to do to protect my child’s skin?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
In brief: Sunscreen
I will assume you are referring to protection against the sun.
A quality, un-expired, spf 30 sunscreen applied every hour to sun exposed skin will help protect the skin. Better yet, long sleeve clothing, hat and an umbrella would be ideal. One only needs to burn twice in their life to be at increased risk for skin cancer. Help your kids develop this good habit.

In brief: Sunscreen
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology
In brief: Sun Screen
Zinc oxide is non-irritating and provides the most extensive and long lasting uva protection available.
Also, make sure the zinc oxide content is sufficient enough to protect against both uva and uvb. For an spf 30, the amount of zinc oxide should be at least 5-6+%.

In brief: Sun Screen
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Jonathan Jassey