Is senna tea safe for pregnant women?

Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Avoid.

Try colace (docusate sodium) or docusate instead for constipation of pregnancy.
Senna may stimulate your bowel and cause uterine contractions and/or diarrhea that can prove harmful to the pregnancy.

In brief: Avoid.

Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Timothy Raichle

In brief: Constipation

Constipation is a common problem during pregnancy.
Senna tea is a common treatment and should be safe during pregnancy, though there are no studies confirming this fact. As some women can be allergic to senna tea, and it can cause stomach upset, diarrhea, etc. I would use it infrequently at first and see how you tolerate it. Also, you can talk to your doctor about safe stool softeners.

In brief: Constipation

Dr. Timothy Raichle
Dr. Timothy Raichle
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Colace is a better choice; senna may stimulate your intestines and cause uterine contractions and/or dehydration.
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham