What causes fever blisters and swollen lymph nodes?

Virus. Fever blisters or 'cold sores' are from a herpes simpex virus. This can cause regional adenopathy. There is medication available to help.
Herpes. See a dermatologist. Common "fever blisters" are herpes simplex type 1. At the very first tingling (prodrome) you can take a prescription pill: Acyclovir or valacyclovir which will reduce the symptoms & allow faster healing. Use sunscreen stick to protect from sun as this is the most common trigger. Creams for this, both otc & rx, are of little benefit. Once you have a blister for a day it makes n.