Do you have to have a general to have bottom impacted wisdom tooth extracted?

No. But it is advisable. You can have a local and it is simply more traumatic. Oral surgeons use short acting anesthetics to have you out while the procedure is done and then easily awakened. It also depends how badly the tooth is impacted. If it is badly impacted you do not want to be awake while the doctor digs it out.
Not usually. So much in dental treatment depends on the patient, their pain tolerance as well as the type of extraction, ie; bony, or ankylosed. A surgeon's skill, touch & the way they do a surgery. Great hands with a patient who follows all of the home care directions can lead to a very positive result with very little pain. Even with all the variables, we usually do not use a general. Pain meds can help.