Can hyper-thyroidism cause atrial fib?

Dr. Ilyas Colombowala
Cardiology - Cardiac Electrophysiology

There is a clear relationship between hyperthyroidism and increased risk of atrial fibrillation.

Dr. Ilyas Colombowala
Dr. Ilyas Colombowala
Dr. Frank Mayo
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

Atrial fibrillation is associated with hyperthyroidism.
You have other comorbidities that may also contribute ie smoking, high cholesterol. You will need therapy for the thyroid either meds or surgery or radioactive iodine treatment. You will also need therapy for atrial fibrillation usually beta blockers.

Dr. Frank Mayo
Dr. Frank Mayo
Dr.

It is a common feature of hyperthyroidism and a side effect of the sped up metabolism of your body

Dr.

In brief: One Factor

Although I am a dentist, I am we'll versed in basic medicine.
One factor that could cause atrial fibrillation is a hyper-active thyroid. I would suggest at your age a visit to the cardiologist or an internist to determine the cause and best treatment options for you.

In brief: One Factor

Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology