Can a colon inflammation lead to colon cancer?

Possibly. Long-standing colonic inflammation as seen in chronic ulcerative colitis and crohn's colitis can increase your risk for colon cancer and is a known risk factor for colon and rectal cancer. Patients with pancolits (involving the whole colon and rectum) should begin colonoscopic surveillance after 8 yrs of disease and left-sided colitis after 15 years.
Ulcerative colitis. Is classic for doing this, and regional enteritis less likely to do it. Uc can be modulated medically for many moons, but when it lurches out of control, colorectal surgery can eliminate the offending organ and stop the evoluton to cancer. Diverticulitis does not carry this association. All that i mention can cause cramping, pain and bloody stools, and need to be distinguished.