I need a tooth extracted. What will happen to the empty space if I can't afford an implant or bridge?

With missing teeth. The other teeth will tend to shift into that space over time. Short term (1-2 months) it's not a problem but long term it is. This creates more stress on the remaining teeth as well as more likelihood to develop cavities & gum problems. Discuss options with your own dentist. Some missing teeth are more important to replace than others. See if you can work out a payment plan or flexite partial.
Removable partial . You can replace your missing tooth with a removable partial or a flipper. This would be a more affordable option and is better than leaving a space. Talk to your dentist about all of the options. If you have a dental school or a hospital training program in your area talk with them and you may find lower fees so maybe even the implant can fit into your budget.
It will remain empty. It will remain empty withot a tooth visible there.