Cost of food allergy testing?

Dr. Andrew Murphy
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Can't really answer

The cost of food allergy testing will vary depending upon what is tested for, how it is tested ( skin test vs blood work) and how many tests are done.

In brief: Can't really answer

Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Arvind Madaan
Choose wisely!
Dr. Arvind Madaan

In brief: It is cost-effective

..And more sensitive to perform skin tests to only relevant foods (selected based on a consistent and reproducible symptom pattern and reviewed by a board-certified allergist).
These results will also help select appropriate foods for supervised oral challenges ("the gold standard" for food allergy diagnosis, esp. In the dbpcfc format).

In brief: It is cost-effective

Dr. Arvind Madaan
Dr. Arvind Madaan
Dr. Justin Greiwe

In brief: Depends

Cots of food allergy testing depends on your insurance and how many skin prick or serum tests your doctor orders.
Avoid broad panel skin and serum testing for lots of foods. Food allergy testing should be focused just on clinically relevant foods. If your doctor inssits on ordering a broad food panel consider seeing a more experienced Allergist. It will save you money in long run.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Justin Greiwe
Dr. Justin Greiwe
Dr. John Chiu
I don't necessarily agree with the current guideline (which consists mainly of low-grade supporting evidence) that a selected panel of food testing should not be done without known symptoms. I have found patients who had never suspected any problem with dairy , wheat etc . The cost and risk are minimal. One of my patients had had unexplained abd pain for 5 yrs . Elimination of wheat cured it.
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery