I have a really bad abscessed tooth (can the infection spread to my bone and my face?

Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

This needs to be seen by a dentist asap.
Not only can it spread to bone and soft tissues adjacent to the involved teeth, but it can also spread to the brain and potentially into the blood stream and create heart valve infection. Get this taken care of, and wish you well.

Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Ronald Achong
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

This can be a life threatening infection.
It can potentially spread to your brain, throat, chest and blood stream.

Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Kim Capehart
Dentistry

In brief: YES

Infections will be gone when the source of the infection is gone, such as abscessed tooth, but antibiotics are very important to minimize infection.
Local anesthesia cannot travel through infections so when you get "numbed" up, you'll still feel discomfort unless infection is gone. But infections that aren't treated can spread and in some cases cause death so go to the doctors and get evaluated.

In brief: YES

Dr. Kim Capehart
Dr. Kim Capehart
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine