I retain fluid in my face and legs. I don, 't usually add extra salt to my diet.What could be contributing to the water retention?

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

In brief: Multiple reasons

The list of probable causes is long, from heart failure to liver or kidney disease, cushing's disease to hypothyroidism etc.
Please discuss with your doctor who can help you to identify the problem and discuss treatment options.

In brief: Multiple reasons

Dr. Tracy Lovell
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: See below

Your kidneys may be weak.
You should see your doctor for an evaluation.

In brief: See below

Your kidneys may be weak.
Dr. Chukwuka Okafor
I fully agree with Dr. Lovell, but you may also have other causes, like if ones heart is not pumping good, like in congestive heart failure, fluid may back up (causing fluid retention), it may even back up in your lungs (as well)... either way you got to see your doctor.
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology