I was diagnosed with diverticulitis and was started on Flagyl and cipro (ciprofloxacin)? Is that the usual therapy?

Yes, quite common. It sounds like you have uncomplicated diverticulitis, which is most often treated as outpatient with oral antibiotics, often Cipro (ciprofloxacin) and flagyl. Most people get better; most (about 65%) won't have any more episodes. For those who do have another episode, 99% are less serious than the first one. After the acute episode is over, make sure to drink enough water (64 oz/day) and add a fiber supplement.
Yes but there's more. What you were prescribed is a very common form of treatment when diverticulitis is suspected or confirmed. The premise of rx is to kill the bacteria that are lodged in the affected diverticular pocket--in reducing the infection thus reduce the inflammation. Repeated bouts of diverticulitis, especially in the same location, warrant investigation & possibly surgery to remove the diseased colon area.