I was diagnosed with diverticulitis and was started on Flagyl and cipro (ciprofloxacin)? Is that the usual therapy?

Dr. Jan Rakinic
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: Yes, quite common
It sounds like you have uncomplicated diverticulitis, which is most often treated as outpatient with oral antibiotics, often Cipro (ciprofloxacin) and flagyl.
Most people get better; most (about 65%) won't have any more episodes. For those who do have another episode, 99% are less serious than the first one. After the acute episode is over, make sure to drink enough water (64 oz/day) and add a fiber supplement.

In brief: Yes, quite common
Dr. Jan Rakinic
Dr. Jan Rakinic
Dr. Charles Cattano
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Yes but there's more
What you were prescribed is a very common form of treatment when diverticulitis is suspected or confirmed.
The premise of rx is to kill the bacteria that are lodged in the affected diverticular pocket--in reducing the infection thus reduce the inflammation. Repeated bouts of diverticulitis, especially in the same location, warrant investigation & possibly surgery to remove the diseased colon area.

In brief: Yes but there's more
Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Eric Kaplan
I would also recommend confirmation of the diverticulitis diagnosis with either/or a CT scan or colonoscopy if you have not had one recently. IF confirmed I would stay on a low fiber diet for 4-6 weeks to allow the inflamed colon to properly heal. I agree for repeated attacks consideration should be given to having surgery best performed when NOT acutely infected.
Dr. Allen Kamrava
Surgery - Colorectal
Yes.

Yes.
Dr. Allen Kamrava
Dr. Allen Kamrava
Dr. Peter Kurzweil