I have never had chickenpox. How careful must I be to avoid getting shingles from somebody?

Dr. Harry Greenberg
Dermatology

In brief: You can't

You can't get shingles if you've never had the chicken pox, unless you have been vaccinated for the chicken pox.
Shingles should not be contagious, however if you have never been vaccinated or had the disease, you should avoid that person or at least consult with your physician.

In brief: You can't

Dr. Harry Greenberg
Dr. Harry Greenberg

In brief: Your greater risk=CP

Adults who get chickenpox can get a severe pneumonia & other complications so i would worry less about shingles & more about chickenpox.
Most adults who think they did't actually did & a blood test can tell. You can be vaccinated if you never had it. If you are in the age group, the new shingles vaccine should protect you from both.

In brief: Your greater risk=CP

Dr. Peter Kurzweil