Is carpal tunnel release a painful procedure to do?

Dr. Djamchid Lotfi
Neurology

In brief: No

The band across the wrist (flexor retinaculum) is cut to release the median nerve in the tunnel created by the carpal bones and this tissue.
It should not be unduly painful.

In brief: No

It should not be unduly painful.
Dr. Djamchid Lotfi
Dr. Djamchid Lotfi
Dr. Michael Fitzmaurice
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: No

These procedures are usually very well tolerated, especially if done endoscopically (minimal incision).
For example, I use an endoscopic technique and most of my patients do not even take prescription pain medications after surgery, only a few over the counter anti inflammatory pills. Other techniques to minimize post operative pain include ice, elevation and supplements like NeuroGen.

In brief: No

Dr. Michael Fitzmaurice
Dr. Michael Fitzmaurice
Dr. Kevin Vaught
Neurosurgery

In brief: Not too bad

For most patients, they are able to gradually resume most normal activities around 6 weeks after surgery.
Most do not require occupational therapy on the hand. However, ot can be helpful if the recovery is slow. Your hand will be sore and possibly swollen for the first few weeks. Fortunately, most patients have a very good outcome. Typical post-op pain is not too bad.

In brief: Not too bad

Dr. Kevin Vaught
Dr. Kevin Vaught
Dr. Dean Giannone

In brief: It could hurt.

Like any surgery, there could be some pain.
That being said, it's done arthroscopically in an ambulatory setting so the pain isn't too bad.

In brief: It could hurt.

Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Patrick Schaner
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: No

Especially if it is done endoscope.

In brief: No

Especially if it is done endoscope.
Dr. Patrick Schaner
Dr. Patrick Schaner
Dr. Eon Shin
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Generally no

Carpal tunnel surgery usually hurts for a day or two afterward, sometimes requiring narcotic medications.
Some patients have minimal symptoms and need nothing more than Ibuprofen for pain. Others require heavy narcotics for several days. Your mileage may vary.

In brief: Generally no

Dr. Eon Shin
Dr. Eon Shin
Dr. Randy Hauck
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: No

Most patients report minimal or no pain after carpal tunnel release.
Most are tender and sore with pressure at the wrist.

In brief: No

Dr. Randy Hauck
Dr. Randy Hauck
Dr. Mark Einbecker
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: No

I do them all the time and have no pain.
I think you are asking if cts is a painful surgery. Most patients that i treat are so happy to be rid of their cts symtoms the soreness they have from the surgery for a short time is worth it. And finally different people tolerate different levels of discomfort better than others.

In brief: No

Dr. Mark Einbecker
Dr. Mark Einbecker