What's the preferred way to get rid of a plantar wart that's a dime wide?

Several treatments. You can try over the counter wart removers, but be careful: i've seen them do more harm than good. Other options your doctor might offer include cryotherapy (freezing the wart), electrocautery (burning the wart), laser treatment, or several different topical chemical treatments. For larger warts, you might need a more aggressive treatment.
Removal. Preferred method to cure plantar wart is removal.
Duct Tape. Try duct tape technique. Small square of tape that completely covers the wart. Leave in place until tape falls off. If wart still present repeat taping. Try this for several days. Effective most of the time.
Warts. Each night before going to bed soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar, apply it to the wart and then hold it in place with a band-aid. Leave it on all night, or if you like, 24 hours a day but change the soaked cotton and band-aid each evening for a week. The wart will swell and may throb as it reacts with the vinegar and then start to turn black within the first two days and in two weeks gone.