How can I tell if I have shingles?

Aaron Stupple
General Practice

In brief: Tiny blisters/1 side

Shingles is reactivation of the chicken pox virus, that emerges from hiding in a nerve, long after original infection .
Classically, very painful small blisters are confined to one side of the body, and clustered together. Usually diagnosed by physical exam, the blood test is only required if the presentation is not obvious, or infection is severe enough to require antiviral treatment.

In brief: Tiny blisters/1 side

Aaron Stupple
Aaron Stupple
Answer assisted by Aaron Stupple, Medical Student
Dr. Michael Tomeo
Dermatology

In brief: Painful Rash

One side of body and follows a dermatome (an area determined by a nerve pattern) starts out with discomfort such as burning or itch and then rednesss and blisters develop.

In brief: Painful Rash

Dr. Michael Tomeo
Dr. Michael Tomeo