How can I tell if I have shingles?

Aaron Stupple
General Practice
In brief: Tiny blisters/1 side
Shingles is reactivation of the chicken pox virus, that emerges from hiding in a nerve, long after original infection .
Classically, very painful small blisters are confined to one side of the body, and clustered together. Usually diagnosed by physical exam, the blood test is only required if the presentation is not obvious, or infection is severe enough to require antiviral treatment.

In brief: Tiny blisters/1 side
Aaron Stupple
Aaron Stupple
Answer assisted by Aaron Stupple, Medical Student
Dr. Michael Tomeo
Dermatology
In brief: Painful Rash
One side of body and follows a dermatome (an area determined by a nerve pattern) starts out with discomfort such as burning or itch and then rednesss and blisters develop.

In brief: Painful Rash
Dr. Michael Tomeo
Dr. Michael Tomeo