I presume a bone graft doesn't bring along its blood vessels. How often does the graft not survive?

It is little comp. Complicated, most bone grafts are expected to be reabsorbed and replaced as the natural bone heals over a few months’ time. Most bone grafts are expected to be reabsorbed and replaced as the natural bone heals over a few months’ time. Vascularized bone graft do survive because they have blood attach to them.
Not often. Most bone grafts are successful. The blood supply comes from the surrounding jaw bone and the overlying layer in the gum called the periosteum.
A scaffold. A graft usually serves as a scaffold, to conduct blood vessel into the area (neovasculargenesis) which brings along the mesenchymal cells for differentiation into bone cells, proliferation, and maturation. These processes will not occur if there is an infection, or the graft may not survive. The survival of the graft is based largely on technique, follow up, and post op care of patient/surgeon.