How should I care for my skin?

Several Ways. Thorough cleansing without drying is important on a regular basis. You should also do exfoliation two to three times per week. After cleansing or exfoliating, moisturizing is essential. Quality skin care products also provide alpha-hydroxy acids to achieve a chemical exfoliation/peel as well. The most important thing, however, is avoidance of uv exposure. Use sunscreen daily.
Easy things 1st. The most effective things anyone can do are sun protection (sun block - SPF 15 and above), moisturizer, avoiding smoking, and appropriate clensing. Doing the above on a routine basis will have great results.
Key = Protection. First and foremost you should protect your skin from damaging ultraviolet rays (ie the sun, tanning booths). Spf creams that are 15+ in addition to sun protective clothing (hats, sunglasses) are the mainstay of protection. Maintaining a healthy diet, good hydration, and avoiding smoking will also help. A daily skin care regimen with anti-oxidants and gentle cleansers can go a long way as well.