Does anyone know how much a fine needle biopsy on a thyroid gland will hurt?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: I DO!!!
I have performed many thyroid fine-needle biopsies and have had more than a few biopsies of my own thyroid.
To be honest, it hurt more than i expected when i had my first biopsy because i didn't anticipate that the thyroid has pain fibers (it does). However, the pain is very short-lasting and, as a typical low-pain threshold man/doctor, if i can handle it...

In brief: I DO!!!
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Keith Stockerl-Goldstein
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: Mild
The needle used is very thing and generally there is a small amount of discomfort in the skin when the needle first pierces.
Most people say the discomfort is not much different than having blood drawn.

In brief: Mild
Dr. Keith Stockerl-Goldstein
Dr. Keith Stockerl-Goldstein
In brief: Minimally
If done properly fna of the thyroid is usually less painful than a standard blood draw even if no local is used.
I have performed thousands and in skilled hands using small guage needles the procedure is minimally painful and should yield the correct diagnosis >95% of the time.

In brief: Minimally
Dr. Daniel Sudilovsky
Dr. Daniel Sudilovsky
In brief: A small amount
Thyroid biopsies are usually done with a very very fine needle.
This makes the biopsy less likely to hurt and actually makes for a better biopsy result. They may pass a needle up to three times for each nodule they want to sample. The doctor can give a local anesthetic but that is just to numb the skin and is often not needed.

In brief: A small amount
Dr. Ronald Dreifuss
Dr. Ronald Dreifuss
In brief: A small amount

In brief: A small amount
Dr. Ronald Dreifuss
Dr. Ronald Dreifuss
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery