How can you tell if you have labral tear, aside from mri?

Symptoms. At times the symptoms of a labral tear on physical examination are very clear cut and considered diagnostic. Other times, it is not so clear. And unfortunately, there are some insurance programs which will not pay for a surgical proceedure based on the patient's physical exam, and they will insist on a diagnostic study. Labral tears can be seen in MRI and CT studies with an arthrogram.
MRI best. The best non invasive test is an mri. Sometimes they will need to inject contrast into the joint before the MRI to better see if there is a tear of the labrum. Often the orthopedic doctor can be pretty certain but should have an MRI to confirm.