Why are antibiotics prescribed for rosacea? Is it a bacterial infection?

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology
In brief: No
The antibiotics decrease bacteria which be a factor but are used more as antiinflammator drugs to decrease inflammation.
The drugs decrease activity of white blood cells which are overactive in rosacea.

In brief: No
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Frederick Coville
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Can be
Although rosacea is not an infection per se, one of the complications of having it is a form of acne.
That form of acne usually responds well to metronidazole. This won't cure rosacea, but it can help decrease the inflammation and superficial skin infections. I don't like oral antibiotics for rosacea and try to limit their use to topical products.

In brief: Can be
Dr. Frederick Coville
Dr. Frederick Coville