Why are antibiotics prescribed for rosacea? Is it a bacterial infection?

No. The antibiotics decrease bacteria which be a factor but are used more as antiinflammator drugs to decrease inflammation. The drugs decrease activity of white blood cells which are overactive in rosacea.
Can be. Although rosacea is not an infection per se, one of the complications of having it is a form of acne. That form of acne usually responds well to metronidazole. This won't cure rosacea, but it can help decrease the inflammation and superficial skin infections. I don't like oral antibiotics for rosacea and try to limit their use to topical products.