Do the hormone changes duringmenstrual cycles affect people with bipolar disorder more?

Dr. William Holmes
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Not Usually
Some women with bipolar disorder can have increased difficulties associated with their menstrual cycles, but this does not occur the large majority of the time.

In brief: Not Usually
Dr. William Holmes
Dr. William Holmes
Dr. Mark Shukhman
Addiction Medicine
I agree with the previous answer and I also know that women with bipolar disorder are more sensitive to their hormonal changes.
I would like to add, though, that if you decide to "fix" your hormonal problems – an endocrinologist can help or a specialist in bioidentical hormones - you might have less episodes. At least this is what I see my practice

Dr. Mark Shukhman
Dr. Mark Shukhman
Dr. Leonard Lado
In brief: PMDD AND MOOD
Yes. Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (pmdd) is a cyclical illness characterized by mood, behavioral, and physical symptoms that occur exclusively in the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle and remit with the onset of menses.
Cohen and colleagues found that 57.6% of their patients received a diagnosis of pmdd had a history of major depressive disorder. Good news is that the newer medications helps.

In brief: PMDD AND MOOD
Dr. Leonard Lado
Dr. Leonard Lado
Dr. Eric Weisman