How safe is gastric bypass now?

Dr. George Valdez

In brief: Key word

I would like to emphasize the importance of seeking coe listed surgeon.
There are plenty of surgeons that offer services and have *much* worse outcomes. Dr st laurent is in my area and has an excellent reputation.

In brief: Key word

Dr. George Valdez
Dr. George Valdez

In brief: Safe/effective

The safety of gastric bypasses has dramatically improved over the past 15 years with improvements in training, instrumentation, and introduction of laparoscopic techniques.
Mortality in experienced hands is less than 0.1%. These surgeries are safer than heart surgery and most orthopedic procedures. Look for a facility and a surgeon that carry a centers of excellence(coe) designation.

In brief: Safe/effective

Dr. Matthew St. Laurent
Dr. Matthew St. Laurent
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Bariatrics

In brief: Like appendectomy

Assuming you see an experienced surgeon, the mortality 0.
1% is similar to incidence with appendectomy (according to statistics from bariatric centers of excellence. Many studies show a significant prolongation of life, which is uncommon with most other operations.

In brief: Like appendectomy

Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Joseph Kuhn