What is the shortest period of time I can breastfeed while still ensuring my baby gets all of the benefits?

Dr. Syed Masood

In brief: 12 months

American academy of pediatrics recommends exclusive breast feeding for the first six months and continuing to breast feed throughout the first year. How long to breast feed will depend on your circumstances.
The longer the better. In some cultures babies are breast fed for few years but i personally recommend feeding for two years if possible.

In brief: 12 months

Dr. Syed Masood
Dr. Syed Masood
Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: Four months

Breastfeeding for four months will help protect your baby for up to a year from lower respiratory infections.
One year is ideal. Four months is the minimum to get any extended benefits.

In brief: Four months

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Adam Levy