My friend has a baby who was just born. They are worried that he doesn't have enough chromosomes, and his hand only has 1 line on it. What could it b?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Geneticist can help
Parents in consultation with the OB and peds doctors may choose to keep private what they discuss and learn.
In general, if a newborn has appearance that is unusual, a test or tests will be done for chromosomes and genetic information, and, if available, a pediatric geneticist will be called. Even if the baby is given a tentative diagnosis, family and friends should wait for final test results.

In brief: Geneticist can help
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
I have delivered many patients who faced this tough situation. Waiting for the karyotype is very difficult, but family should follow advice of the baby doctors about care, bonding, etc. Good, upbeat friends are very valuable at this time.
Michael Erickson
General Practice
In brief: See a Doctor
Your friend should have their child evaluated by a physician if they are concerned.
The "one line" on the hand you speak of may be a simian crease which is actually associated with too many chromosomes; trisomy 21 or commonly known as down syndrome. There is really not enough information to make a determination, but genetic testing and other symptoms may shed some light on their concern.

In brief: See a Doctor
Michael Erickson
Michael Erickson
Answer assisted by Michael Erickson, Medical Student
3 comments
Michael Erickson
No problem, I hope we were able to give you some insight.
Dr. Gregg Albers
Good job with the answer, in 400 letters or less.