What is better to relax before a dental procedure, Valium or xanax (alprazolam)?

Careful. Have a responsible adult provide transportation if you take either of these meds.
Either one. Both of these meds are from the same family. Both are benzodiazepenes and work very similarly. The only difference would be in how fast they are metabolized and the dosage. In my experience 10 mg valium is adequate.
Valium. Valium is well tolerated and the gold standard for oral drugs to relax a patient prior to a procedure.
Short half life. Xanax (alprazolam) half life is short; the risk is that rebound anxiety occur, prompting the need for a next dose too early.
Either one works. Both of these are effective and will help you relax before your dental procedures, but do not just take one of these drugs without talking to, your dentist first. You dentist needs to know what medications you are taking.