Benefits/risks of red yeast?

Dr. Kenneth Adler
In brief: Lowers cholesterol
Red yeast rice is natural "statin" that lowers cholesterol.
It can be an effective treatment for those with mildly elevated cholesterol. Typically higher levels of cholesterol will require a prescription drug to achieve optimal control. Of course diet is very important in all cases. A low fat diet is key to lowering cholesterol.

In brief: Lowers cholesterol
Dr. Kenneth Adler
Dr. Kenneth Adler
Dr. Seema Patel
Holistic Medicine
In brief: Similar to statins
Red yeast rice has an active ingredient that is similar to a very low dose statin so the side effects can be similar of muscle pains, liver problems as well as GI discomfort.
The fda banned red yeast rice from having a statin so its not as effective as the canadian red yeast rice. I recommend always using co q 10 when doing this as well as a statin to minimize side effects.

In brief: Similar to statins
Dr. Seema Patel
Dr. Seema Patel