History of high cholesterol (like sibs). Eat light, little meat. Gp stopped Zetia (ezetimibe) and prescribed red yeast. Is that ok for active, sharp 95yo woman?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: My opinion
There is a paucity of data to support taking red yeast although lowering cholesterol is a reported use.
The real question is whether a 95 yo woman should be on anything for cholesterol. Imo, if you have hx of heart attack, stent or bypass, it's reasonable to stabilize plaque. If not, i wouldn't use it. (ie there's no indication for primary prevention in this age group).

In brief: My opinion
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Jane Van Dis