In the morning I have a cough soon after I wake up when i'm ready to eat breakfast.I cough phlegm that's stuck in my throat/have to clear it.No smokin?

Dr. Malinda Linn
In brief: Allergies?
Often allergies can do this because the phlegm has been draining through the night and causing it to sit on the back of your throat.
When you wake up and start eating, drinking, gravity causes it to move more and your body wants to clear it out of the way. Typically this can be easily solved with an quick evaluation from your physician and the right treatments.

In brief: Allergies?
Dr. Malinda Linn
Dr. Malinda Linn
Dr. Sue Ferranti
In brief: Possibilities...
A cough as you describe in a person who has never smoked can be due to gerd or post-nasal drip, both of which can be effectively treated.
See your doctor for evaluation and treatment.

In brief: Possibilities...
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. David Mann
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: AM drainage
Everyone has more drainage in the am after sleeping.
Older patiets, especially ones who are on a lot of medications, such as diuretics tend to have thicker secretions. Guaifenesin (mucinex) may help. Decreasing drying medications. Also a cup of hot tea with lemon or honey helps clear thick secretions. See an ENT if symptoms persist to rule out allergy, reflux, sinusitis.

In brief: AM drainage
Dr. David Mann
Dr. David Mann
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology